Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Only there for Milk

It is 5:45pm and as I'm headed home from work I realize that I'm out of milk and need to make a quick stop at the grocery store before coming home to the chaos of kids that I know awaits me.  Milk.  All I need is milk.  So I walk into Smiths and grab a small cart and head left... oops!  Wrong way!!  I walk past the creatively decorated cupcakes, the crackers and cookies and all the special items on display for a 'bargain.' French bread, donuts, oreos and more.  As I push my cart past all this food, I become increasingly aware that it is dinner time and my stomach is sending the signal to my brain that it is time to eat. Hmmm...everything sounds so good.

"No wonder?" I think to myself, "No wonder people have such a hard time sticking to their "diets" (a word I don't like using by the way) or their "healthy programs". So many temptations everywhere you turn!

I push my cart and walk past the bread, the cheese, the fruits and veggies (which aren't bad for you, but remember...I'm only here for milk). CHEETOS!?!  A flavor I haven't tried before?!?


"NO!! Just keep walking," I have to tell myself. "Milk. You're ONLY here for milk."

Juice, candies, chocolates... all the things you've done so well to limit the last few months are starting to literally call out to you from the shelves.  The food industry knows very well what they're doing. They know exactly how to set up the layout of their stores, which shelf and and which isle each specific products needs to be on. And the little islands of products you find in between? Genius?! They knew what they were doing. As many opportunities for you to walk past them as possible makes it harder to resist.  Why do you think it is that milk and eggs are found at the very back corner of the store??  Simple: so you have a million and one other tempting items to pass on your way!

I even stopped at the little packet of 5 donuts. You know, the ones that you usually will find at a gas station? I was seriously considering this small item as a "treat"... 350 calories?? Seriously???  I'm not wasting my calorie intake on a packet of little donuts.. "Keep moving! You're ONLY HERE FOR MILK!"

"Ok, you've GOT to GET OUT OF HERE!"  I kept tell myself.  "Just keep walking."
.
.
.

You'll be happy to know I made it through the self-check out station with 1 gallon of milk, 2 cartons of soy milk, and 1 package of butter. That's it!  Ok, Ok, I know its more that the "Milk" I originally came in for, but hey! give me some credit!!  I passed up an incredible amount of temptation and guess what?  I'M OK!!

Isn't it amazing how much stronger and empowered you feel simply by saying NO?!  The more you look temptation in the eye and say "NO! I'm healthy! I am a HEALTHY person." and walk away....the more strength it gives you to follow your dreams, and achieve your goals.

So, the next time you're at the grocery store remember:  You're ONLY there for MILK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment